Pittsburgh is located in western Pennsylvania and sits at the confluence of three rivers. This historic city was a major industrial center in the early 20th century. Its many attractions include the Andy Warhol Museum, Heinz Field stadium, and PNC Park baseball stadium.
Andy Warhol Museum
Located in downtown Pittsburgh, the Andy Warhol Museum is the perfect place to learn about the world-renowned artist’s life and work. In addition to displaying his works, the museum also hosts two free gallery talks per day that give visitors a brief history of the artist. The talks are held at 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. and are moderated by museum staff. The talks are intended to provide insight into the artist’s life and art, as well as provide insight into the legacy of his work. Tour schedules and details of gallery talks are available at the admission desk.
The museum also features more than 900 pieces of art, including paintings and sculptures. These pieces include everything from Campbell’s Soup Cans to celebrity portraits of Elvis Presley and Marilyn Monroe. Additionally, the museum has a number of films by Warhol, which are particularly interesting in our YouTube-obsessed culture.
The museum is located on Sandusky Street. Parking is available just north of the museum. Admission is $20, but there are discounts for children, seniors, and students. It is open Tuesday through Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., but is open longer on Fridays.
The museum is the first step in a $60 million development project that will transform the surrounding neighborhood. The project is expected to encompass six blocks, will attract new public art installations, and will create a cultural district around the museum. This will also bring in local businesses, galleries, and other cultural institutions.
As a part of the Warhol Museum’s outreach, the museum has a number of initiatives that target underrepresented groups in the community. For example, the museum is partnering with the Association of Art Museum Directors to expand its diversity and inclusion efforts.
The Allegheny Observatory was the largest astronomical observatory built within the city limits of a major American city. It was founded in 1892 by Andrew Carnegie and Henry Clay Frick. It was directed by Samuel Pierpont Langley, and later, John Brashear. The observatory was one block from a major city streetcar line. In 2009, five Pittsburgh schools scored poorly on the state assessment test for science.
The Observatory houses two telescopes. The Thaw telescope was used for stellar photographs, which are used to study the position of the stars in the sky. In 1985, a new lens was added to the telescope, enabling it to collect more light in the red end of the spectrum. This change in lens technology was necessary because of the increased level of light pollution in the Pittsburgh area. The original glass lens, which was thirty inches in diameter, is now displayed in the observatory building’s main corridor. The Keeler Memorial reflecting telescope, which is located in a small dome just to the right of the front doorway, is one of the most accurate instruments in the world.
The Allegheny Observatory is located in Riverview Park in Pittsburgh. It is a large Neoclassical structure built in 1900-12. It was designed by Thorsten E. Billquist, a Pittsburgh architect, and was built in collaboration with astronomer James E. Keeler and telescope maker John Alfred Brashear.
The Pittsburgh Observatory is located in Riverview Park, a 250-acre woodland overlooking the Ohio River. The park was dedicated to the city of Pittsburgh in 1894, and the Observatory was built there. Works Progress Administration workers added to the park during the Great Depression, adding additional features like the observatory.